Welcome to the world, Victoria!

By ani - December 19, 2017

In my previous post, I shared my personal experience of the NHS antenatal care in the UK. Today, I will share my delivery story.

My due date was on the 6th of August and I was very much hoping to deliver some time before or close to that date, because I was feeling extremely tired and uncomfortable towards the end of my pregnancy. I didn’t gain much weight during my pregnancy, but my belly increased significantly and felt huge in week 39. In addition, my feet were enormous and I was suffering from insomnia. Although I had a fairly easy and very joyful pregnancy, I was looking forward to delivering sooner rather than later and I tried almost all natural ways to induce labour (dates, pineapple, long walks, etc.), but without success.

On Wed, 9th August around 6am, I experienced a slight leak, but I had no contractions so I decided to wait a little longer before going to the hospital. Around 10am, I had another minor leak so I called the midwife and she advised me to go to the hospital for a quick check-up in the afternoon. So even though there were still no signs of contractions, I went to the hospital around 4pm. They examined me and confirmed that my waters were indeed broken, and booked me in for induction at 7am on the next day (if I haven’t given birth by then). I got back home and the waiting started – surprisingly, I was feeling no fear, but a lot of excitement and impatience to finally meet my little girl. As my pregnancy was low risk and everything was normal, I was very much hoping to deliver naturally and with no epidural anesthesia. Unfortunately, the labour didn’t start during the night so around 6am on the 7th, me and my husband were heading to the hospital for my induction.  Interestingly, on the way to the hospital I started having some contractions so I was still hoping for natural labour at that moment. We arrived at the hospital and as I was already having contractions I expected to be admitted to the ward, but unfortunately they didn’t have any beds available there so they sent me to the antenatal care unit instead, where I was regularly visited and checked by midwifes. As my waters were already broken for more than 24hrs, I was also given some antibiotics to prevent from getting an infection during labour and delivery. At around 3pm, the contractions became very frequent and painful so I was getting optimistic that delivery might be close, but unfortunately, I only had 1cm dilation (you need to get to 10cm!) so they needed to induce me. First, they gave me a gel version of the oxytocin hormone (the hormone naturally produced during labour and stimulating delivery) and this is when my nightmare started. With the gel my contractions became much more painful, so I asked for painkillers and gas, which provided some temporary relief.  After a couple of hours, they examined me again and unfortunately there was only a slight progress so I had to be given a hormone drip. As the drip makes contractions even more painful, I also had to get an epidural. Thus, around 10pm, I was finally admitted to the ward unit and given the drip along with an epidural anesthesia. The epidural numbed the pain and I was able to get some rest and fall asleep. Around 7am, the midwife checked my dilation and even though there was a significant increase (almost 7cm); I was still quite far from delivery. At that point, after more than 30 hours in the hospital, I was getting extremely exhausted so my husband and I started discussing with the midwife the possibility of having a c section. The midwife kept convincing us that natural delivery was the best outcome and that everything was going well as long as the baby wasn’t distressed and I was coping with the pain. Besides the midwife’s reassurance, my husband insisted for a doctor to see me. An hour later, I was finally visited by a doctor who identified that my actual waters weren’t broken and the main membrane was still there! You can imagine, after more than 30 hours in pain, how shocked and frustrated I felt at that moment. I couldn’t believe how it was possible that none of the midwives had noticed that earlier. Nevertheless, the doctor broke the membrane and we had to wait for another couple of hours before deciding whether to have a c section. Thankfully, after two hours, I was finally fully dilated and ready for delivery.   The actual delivery lasted about 40 minutes and at 3:15pm on 11th August, Victoria was born. That was the most beautiful moment I have had in my entire life – the minute I saw her face, all the pain was gone and I felt complete and full of love and joy. No words can describe this feeling.

Welcome to the world, Victoria! May you always be a winner!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like